Sunday, April 29, 2018

VC ROCKS - First Blog Hop of 2018! - Fun With One Color

Today I'd like to share with you a card for the VC Rocks first blog hop of this year. In case you don't know, VC stands for Virtual Convention, and was established as a virtual online celebration of Stampin' Up!'s annual convention. Although SU! has changed a little over time in how we celebrate, VC Rocks lives on....

And I, for one, am delighted. It is a chance to hang out with like-minded crafters/stampers discussing what has happened in our lives since last year, what stamp sets are retiring, what may be coming in, and this year... the Holy Grail of changes...

THE COLOR REFRESH

Big changes are on the horizon in SU! land, so - in honor of this change, out blog hop celebrates COLOR. In this case, MONOCHROMATICS. Our challenge for this blog hop is to create a card using one color.

I found a card very similar to this one, tweaked it a little, updated the colors and created this version of it for my monthly stamping class in April:



Interestingly, some of those making this card got confused on the color order, thinking that the second color was the darkest one of the bunch. Here is a closer view of the ink pads so you can see for yourself:


The darkest color - Rich Razzleberry was the top two rows. I inked the balloon from Balloon Celebration and stamped (reink for each stamping), about 5 or 6 times across the top, overlapping them. I did two rows in that color, then, I inked in Berry Burst and stamped the two rows before that, then repeated the process with Sweet Sugarplum. These three currently current (ha! see what I did there?) colors make a great tone-on-tone-on-tone!

I then carefully inked the sentiment stamps in Black Archival (I'll be sad to see you leave!!!) and stamped those at the bottom of the card front, making sure it was nice and darkly stamped.


Inside, I stamped a larger sentiment from BIG ON BIRTHDAYS, using Berry Burst.


Would you like to make a card similar to this one?

The materials used include the colors and stamp sets pictured above, plus Thick Whisper White cardstock and Stampin' Dimensionals. The cardstock was cut to 4 1/4 x 11 1/2. The balloon piece on the card front was cut to 3 3/4 x 5. The balloons and sentiment were stamped on this piece BEFORE adhering it with five dimensionals on the cardfront. I also stamped the sentiment inside before adhering the balloon piece, just in case of errors!

(Not that I ever make any of those!)

I hope you enjoy the card, and please feel free to let me know if you tried a different color combination that you love!

PERMALINK TO BLOG HOP:

7 comments:

Catie Palmer said...

Great card. Thanks for participating.

Terri said...

Great card, Nancy! Sweet Sugarplum was the color choice of mine but I switched it at the last minute! I'm so sad to see that color go :(

Robin Messenheimer said...

What a great idea for a fun class technique. I may have to try that out in my June class (no class in May or I'd do it then!).

Tania said...

Really like this card! It's lots of fun.

Carol Read said...

I love this card design. Great idea! I’m going to have to try something like this. Thank you so Much for sharing.

Carolyn Sharkas said...

Very cool card, Nancy! Looks like I might have to try this technique also. Thanks for sharing.

Debbie Peterson said...

Cute & fun card! And WOW I never thought about writing on the stamp boxes, what a great idea!! I think I have another project to add to my to do list. :)